In the early 1920's, a one million gallon reservoir was built on east Wall Street and five wells were drilled. This field was used until the late 1920's, when Cole Park was purchased and used until 1968. Rosedale wells were drilled in the early 1940's and were used until the late 1960's. Wadley Well Field (Hogan Park) was started in the early 1940's, with water being pumped from fifteen wells until the early 1960's.
Beginning in the early 1950's, McMillen Well Field was developed and used until depleted in the mid 1960's. This field is currently shut down due to concerns with perchlorate, but can pump up to 4.5 million gallons per day. Two 5-million ground storage tanks and a 1 million gallon Elevated Storage Tower were constructed in the early 1950's. During the late 1950's, a 1 million gallon reservoir was added at Shell and Midland Drive.
In the late 1950's, Paul Davis Well Field was started. This field included a 2.5 million gallon ground storage tank, and a Pump Station. Later, another 2.5 million gallon ground storage tank was added and a total of 42 wells have been drilled. Paul Davis is maintained for peaking and as a backup supply.
The City of Midland is also a customer of the Colorado River Municipal Water District.
In 1965, the City purchased the T-Bar Ranch as a future water supply. Through a public-public partnership, the City of Midland and Midland County Freshwater Supply District No. 1 built the T-Bar pipeline and well field in 2012. This groundwater supply can be used to supplement our surface water supplies and provide Midland's needs through 2060 and beyond.