Become a Police Officer
Performs a variety of law enforcement and crime prevention tasks, investigative work, special assignments, technical and administrative tasks in support of the Police Department.
- Participates in a variety of law enforcement activities which include arresting offenders and suspects for traffic and criminal offenses, appearing in court for criminal, civil, and other law enforcement related matters; conducting surveillance.
- Prepares reports on crimes and activities; attends briefings, and administrative meetings.
- Operates department computer equipment to review records, inquire about activities and programs, and input various data.
- Cooperates with other law enforcement agencies in matters relating to the apprehension of offenders and the investigation of offenses.
- Interacts and works with citizens regarding existing and potential law enforcement and crime prevention problems and responds to requests and inquiries from the general public.
- Works under stress and uses good judgment in emergency situations.
- Physically apprehends and searches suspects utilizing appropriate techniques and maneuvers to render them safe for transportation and incarceration.
- Performs a variety of physically demanding maneuvers and activities while involved in law enforcement and rescue operations, including running, walking, stooping, bending, rolling, crawling, climbing, jumping, lifting, carrying, dragging, and safely operating assigned equipment and vehicles.
- Works under a variety of unfavorable conditions including exposure to gunfire, harsh weather, poor or no lighting, exposure to hazardous chemicals and smoke, extremes in temperatures, all types of weather condition, and electrical hazards, armed/dangerous persons, communicable diseases, etc.
- Works irregular hours including weekends, holidays and extended hours in emergency, disaster or other situations influenced by workload, staffing difficulties or equipment related repair problems.
- Operates patrol car, handgun, baton, radar units, radios, computer, printer, etc.
Other Important Duties
- Assists other employees in conducting assigned duties and responsibilities as necessary.
- May participate in accident reconstruction and other specialized duties.
- May serve warrants on behalf of the department and other law enforcement agencies.
- Prepares a variety of statistical and narrative reports regarding special assignments, events and functions.
- Assists with hostage negotiations as necessary.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.