***The effective date of the new zoning ordinance is July 1, 2019.***
The Planning Division
The Planning Division is the starting point for all new development and redevelopment within the city limits.
The City of Midland has adopted a new comprehensive plan, Tall City Tomorrow. This document addresses the specific needs and hopes of the city and provide a guide for future development policy. It is a tool to guide city priorities and directions, and provide context for making key land use and public investment decisions.
City planners currently use the Tall City Tomorrow Plan as a guide to review all rezoning requests, make recommendations to the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council, process applications for subdivision plats (within 3.5 miles of city limits), and collaborate with other divisions and departments within the City.
What We Do
Most land development proposals require the submittal of a detailed site plan, which provides the opportunity for staff to review the characteristics of the site, including building location and design, parking, signs, landscaping, access, garbage pickup, lighting, and more. The Planning Division works closely with several City departments and outside agencies for short- and long-range planning.
Our recommendations to the Planning & Zoning Commission and City Council provide information needed to make decisions regarding community development. The Planning Division also prepares special studies as needed, such as annexation, land use and housing studies, population estimates, and code amendments as warranted.
- 2020 Final Plat Application
- 2020 Sketch Plat Application
- Airport Zoning Waiver - Non-residential Permit Application
- Airport Zoning Waiver -Residential Permit Application
- Annexation-Zone Change Application
- Credit Card Authorization
- Dedicate ROW Application
- Folding Guidelines
- Master Sign Plan Application
- Oil and Gas Exhibits to Permit Application
- Oil and Gas Permit Application
- Preliminary Plat Application
- SMALL CELL RIGHT OF WAY UTILIZATION APPLICATION_fillable form
- Special Exception Application
- Special Events Application
- Subdivision Plat Vacation Application
- SUD Alcohol Application
- SUD General Application
- SUD Renewal Application
- Temporary Manufactured Home Commercial Application
- Temporary Manufactured Home Hardship Application
- Temporary Land Use Application
- Vacate ROW Application
- Zone Change Application
All open records requests must be made in writing and are handled by the City’s Public Information Act Coordinator, Hope Perez. To request a copy of a City record, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or follow the link below.